From: ritasema@xxxxxxxxx
Date: November 28, 2015 at 9:27:17 PM CST
To: Vicky <vfiszman@xxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: Mench !!! (good Person)

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mk2711@xxxxxxx
Date: November 28, 2015 at 9:56:52 AM CST
To: mk2711@xxxxxxx
Cc: grace33182@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Mench !!! (good Person)

grimly

In a one-synagogue town, brothers Louie and Bernard embarrassed the Jewish community. Their business practices were ruthless, and socially speaking they were downright wicked.

Worst of all, they whitewashed their sins with large contributions to the needy temple. Eventually the town's Jews were turned off by the hypocrisy, and membership dwindled.

Then the old rabbi died and a sharp, energetic rabbi took his place. He invigorated the prayer services with upbeat melodies, challenged his congregants to think deeply, and solicited their creativity for further initiatives.

He also spoke truth to power, telling Louie and Bernard they would not be welcome at services until they changed their ways. The brothers disappeared, and membership swelled.

A new building was soon needed, but no one else in the town had much money. The campaign would take years.

Then Louie died. Bernard approached the new rabbi.

"Rabbi, I'll pay for the new building - all of it - if you'll just speak at the funeral and say Louie was a mensch."

The rabbi thought about it for a while, and took the check.

The funeral was huge. Everyone showed up to see if the rabbi would really lie in order to fund the building.They all leaned forward as the rabbi grimly took the pulpit.

"My friends, we're here today to bury a man who lived in this community for 70 years. What shall we say about him? Was he a kind man? Was he a good man? In truth, he cheated in business, he cheated on his taxes, he cheated on his wife, and he cheated at cards. But compared to his brother, he was a mensch!"