Second Call for Contributions: XXIII SITGES CONFERENCE on STATISTICAL MECHANICS

Please distribute. Apologies for multiple postings.

SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE
XXIII SITGES CONFERENCE on STATISTICAL MECHANICS:
Understanding and Managing Randomness in Physics, Chemistry and Biology
Sitges, Barcelona, SPAIN, 4-8 June 2012
http://www.ffn.ub.es/sitges

Dear Colleague,

This is the second announcement and call for contributions to the XXIII Sitges Conference on Statistical Mechanics, to be held in Sitges, a charming seaside resort near Barcelona (Spain), from the 4th until the 8th of June 2012.
The title of this forthcoming edition of the Sitges Conference will be "Understanding and Managing Randomness in Physics, Chemistry and Biology". In this Science Meeting, we intend to stimulate the discussion of fluctuation phenomena in small-scale systems in interdisciplinary science.
The Conference Program will include the following topics: fluctuations in small-scale systems, nanomachines, artificial nanodevices and nanostructures; fluctuations in intracellular transport and in biological systems; forces induced by fluctuations and the Casimir effect; heat radiation at the nanoscale; aggregation and self-assembly of structures; stochasticity in materials, and in granular and active matter; fluctuations in confined systems and in systems with few molecules; mechanisms of generation and conversion of energy based on the presence of fluctuations; modelling of non-linear noisy systems.
With the organization of this Conference, we will provide a unique opportunity to exchange points of view, to promote contacts and new collaborations, and to create a forum for debate that can help us to give answers to the many open questions in this vast domain of interdisciplinary research.

We are pleased to announce the following list of plenary speakers:

Bezrukov, S. (NIH, USA)

Bittner, A. (CIC nanoGUNE, Spain)

Bonilla, L. (University Carlos III, Spain)

Cesàro, A. (University of Trieste, Italy)

Dawson, K. A. (University College Dublin, Ireland)

Golestanian, R. (University of Oxford, UK)

Gudowska, E. (Jagiellonian University, Poland)

Hänggi, P. (University of Augsburg, Germany)

Hansen, A. (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway)

Karttunen, M. (University of Waterloo, Canada)

Kjelstrup, S. (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway)

Metzler, R. (University of Potsdam, Germany)

Platero, G. (ICMM, Spain)

Schimansky-Geier, L. (Humboldt-University at Berlin, Germany)

Sokolov, I. (Humboldt-University at Berlin, Germany)

Van den Broeck, C. (University of Hasselt, Belgium)

The list of plenary and invited contributors will be periodically updated in the conference web-page: http://www.ffn.ub.es/sitges.

Important Deadlines:

 Request for financial support

 Conference registration for contribution

 Announcement of acceptance of abstracts

 Announcement of financial support

 Early registration fee payment

 Final program communication

You can register and see the outline structure of this and previous conferences at the web-site:
http://www.ffn.ub.es/sitges , which will be updated and completed as the Conference planning proceeds.

If you are interested in presenting a talk (30 min) or a poster communication, please indicate so in your
registration and submit a single page abstract following the instructions that can be found in the web page.

We would be very grateful if you could circulate the conference notice to your colleagues, post-docs, and
Ph.D. students, and encourage them to submit talks and/or posters.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Sitges,

The Local Organizing Committee of the XXIII Sitges Conference

Giancarlo Franzese
Ignacio Pagonabarraga
Agustí Pérez
David Reguera