Re: Seminario grupo de física no lineal

Hello everyone:

In the continuation of our "non-linear physics" seminar, the invited speaker of this week is Master student Rafael Verduzco who works with Dr. Gustavo Martinez at ICF. The title of his talk is:

"From discrete to semicontinuous dynamics for cell signalling networks"

It will take place at the "Salon de Seminarios I", near to Secretaria Académica, at 3:30 pm, tomorrow Friday, January 25th.

Greetings

In recent years, discrete models for the dynamics of interaction networks within the cell have been proposed and extensively used, ranging from gene regulatory to signalling and transcriptional networks. In spite of their qualitative nature, discrete models provide valuable information even in the absence of detailed knowledge, namely concentration of molecules, reaction rates, etc. Semicontinuous dynamics derived from discrete models have been proposed as an alternative to ODE-based models, which presuppose the availability of said detailed knowledge. In this talk, I'll illustrate the virtues and limitations of such an approach showing prior work from other groups for gene regulatory networks as well as an in-house developed couple of models: the first being a "toy" model and the second one corresponding to a signalling network that has been shown to regulate sea urchin sperm motility towards the egg.