Coloquio de Hoy

Mensaje sin acentos.

Estimados Colegas,

Les recuerdo que nuestro Coloquio de hoy, estara a cargo de la Dra. Lisa Kaltenegger
del Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. El titulo de su charla es:

  "Earth: a Rosetta Stone for the Search of Earth-Like Worlds and Moons"

Esperamos contar con su amable presencia a las 5:30 PM en el auditorio del
Instituto de Ciencias Fisicas de la UNAM- Campus Morelos.

Atentamente,

Jorge Hernandez Cobos y Angel Romo Uribe.

Resumen:
Spectroscopy of Earth-like exoplanets is a potential tool for habitability screening. Transiting planets are present-day "Rosetta Stones" for understanding extrasolar planets because they offer the possibility to characterize giant planet atmospheres and should provide an access to biomarkers in the atmospheres of Earth-like exoplanets, once they are detected. Using the Earth itself as a proxy we show the potential and limits of spectroscopy to detect biomarkers on an Earth-like exoplanet or Moon.

This talk will focus on the cross-disciplinary connection between planetary science, biology and astronomy. The observational features of the planet are used to derive observable quantities to explore if our concept of habitability is correct and how we can find the first habitable new worlds in the sky.